I'm interested in attending the 3rd Global Conference on Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Security and Climate Change. When and where is it happening?
The Conference starts on Tuesday the 3rd of December and ends on the Thursday, the 5th of December 2013. The Conference will be held in Johannesburg, South Africa. The venue will be Emperors Palace Hotel Casino Convention and Entertainment Resort.
How do I become accredited to report on the Conference proceedings?
Press registration has now closed.
Will there be press facilities at the Conference?
Accredited members of the press will have access to press facilities. Recording backdrops and a sound booth will be available for booking during the conference. A media liaison will be present during the Conference, and members of the press are encouraged to contact the media representative at the conference to secure bookings for press facilities.
Where can I access press releases and public announcements regarding the Conference?
An archive of press releases and announcements can be accessed here.
Which Conferences preceded the 3rd Global Conference on Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Security and Climate Change?
The Conference is a continuation of two previous conferences: in November 2010, the 1st Global Conference brought together the agendas of agriculture, food security and climate change. This was followed by the 2nd Global Conference in September 2012 in Viet Nam, which allowed global leaders, practitioners, scientists, civil society and the private sector to share experiences and demonstrate how early action on Climate-Smart Agriculture could act as a driver of green growth.
In addition, there were two prior scientific conferences that were held to allow the exchange of research and ideas relevant to the objectives of Climate-Smart Agriculture: in October 2011, the Global Science Conference on Climate-Smart Agriculture was held at Wageningen University in the Netherlands. Then, in March 2013 the Global Science Conference on Climate-Smart Agriculture was held again at the University of California, Davis, in the United States.
What are the primary themes of the 3rd Global Conference on Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Security and Climate Change?
- Food and nutrition security in the face of climate change
- Improving food security and poverty alleviation through production systems
- Understanding the link between agriculture-related investments, policies, and measures with
climate smart agriculture
What are the main goals of the 2013 Conference?
- Promote a Climate –Smart Agriculture Alliance;
- Share knowledge, information and good practices among public, private and civil society
- Promote the mainstreaming and up-scaling of climate-smart agriculture within the broader
- Facilitate the implementation of concrete actions linking agriculture-related investments, policies,
and measures with the transition to climate –smart agriculture ;
- Build global partnerships for resilience of agriculture, forestry and fisheries to climate change;
- Promote the application of scientific solutions, information and policies conducive to increased and
sustainable agricultural production yields, productivity and sustainable development;
- Explore and share knowledge and responses of agriculture to climate change with emphasis on
climate-smart agriculture; low carbon farming practices; conservation and new technological
approaches conducive to productivity, adaptation and mitigation;
I'm an international traveller. Will I require a visa when travelling to South Africa?
International delegates should check the South African Department of Home Affairs website for information regarding visa requirements and exemptions.
Were can I find additional information about the Conference venue and host city?
Additional details regarding the Emperors Palace Hotel Casino Convention and Entertainment Resort can be found here. For information regarding activities in and around Johannesburg, please follow this link.